Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pantry Mural

The pantry is such a small room, and one that I could handle without relying on anyone else to do something for me first. We considered wrecking the right side wall that was original to the house, old plaster that had been paneled over with a considerable amount of glue. The result of the paneling coming down was that there was a ton of glue to be scraped off and also chunks of plaster came down while demo'ing the panels. We've been trading work with our neighbor's brother but you know how that goes...we haven't seen him in a few weeks, and Warren wanted him to do the demo and help drywall in there. I decided that I was having none of that. I am so sick of waiting for people to help and it holding us up, so I made the executive decision that I would scrape the upper portion of the wall and fill in all the damaged parts, and then install wainscot underneath over the damaged plaster. So while Warren was at tennis last week, I went to town on the wall with a heat gun and a scraper. I filled in all the holes with mud and then got going on the rest. I also had to mud and tape the wall that we put up on the left side, as this panty was converted from a small bedroom, the other half is our walk-in closet.



I created the sketch with a slightly Mediterranean feel in mind, although that's not totally the style of our house. But this room is a pantry and I really can do whatever I want, so since we are no longer so close to the beach I did a small secluded beach with a ledge that the chair rail will sit just under. I hung some fresh fish and herbs from a bar that will still be visible when the door is open. The rest of the walls are Dunn Edwards Terracotta Sand, a color I use a lot, it's the color of the entire interior of the back house. The wainscot is not nailed on yet, we're getting there...not sure that the nails we have fit our nail gun, and with so many things to do, it's easy to leave a project unfinished. Ugh, that's the story of my life right now. Well, all the paint is done in one room, all we have to do in the pantry now is 1. install the wainscot 2. install the chair rail 3. Paint both, so I take it back, not all the painting is finished 4. insert the finished trim in the new can lights 5. refinish the wood floors 5. design, purchase and install the pantry storage cabinets and shelves 6. install baseboards and crown molding. Wow, so close. Well the mural itself took me about 7 hours, so hopefully the rest of the work will move along quickly as well.

No comments: