Thursday, May 13, 2010

Let there be {sky} Light!


Whilst installing the roof, we decided to install 2 Solartubes in the ceiling of the kitchen and the existing hallway bathroom. That bathroom lost a window as we are going to add a Master bath off the back of it, and has zero daylight. The Solartubes are amazing! I took a few pictures with the cover off (I was mud and taping the ceiling in the kitchen and didn't want to get it dirty, and it looked so cool!). The inside is polished aluminum, so highly polished that it looks like a mirror, which captures the sunlight from any angle in the sky and reflects it into the room. This should give us a huge savings on the electrical bill down the road, as we will not have to use the light in the bathroom during the day at all, and will extend the period of time that sunlight lights up the kitchen as well.


The drywall is about 90% complete (just like so MANY of our projects) in the kitchen, I put in the insulation and although I swore I'd never do it again, hung drywall. Warren helped. Haha, he actually did most of the drywalling in there, I followed with mud and tape. I think he got the better end of the deal. The worst part of drywalling is the mud + tape. But now that I've done it before I have a better system and don't think I will get White Lung disease this time. Last time I had to drink Theraflu every night and coughed up drywall dust for a week. I have a better respirator now, and have it down to a science, and got a different brand of mud, so things are much better. You can see in the first picture the hot pink mark on the ceiling...the mud I am using goes on pink and dries white, so you know when it's ready for sanding, takes out the guess work, and this stuff is much smoother to work with. Very similar to doing Venetian Plaster actually, except I am just doing the seams. If you've seen our back house, you know that we have some seam issues in there, we didn't know all the rules of drywalling yet. One more thing to fix. Yay.

Speaking of things to fix, here is my 2nd? 3rd? cousin Willy ripping into my freshly painted wall to fish a wire through to the new switch. I knew I was getting ahead of myself when I painted the dining room, but it felt so nice to have a room feel somewhat finished! Well, we have rewired the entire house with Romex from the old Bulb & Tube, so there are some serious patches to be done. He looked like he was enjoying that WAY too much. And, we've figure out that patching the old plaster walls takes a piece of 1/2" drywall PLUS a piece of 1/4" drywall on top of it to get the closest to the thickness of the walls. Good times.

No comments: