Thursday, March 11, 2010

Twice the Light


"Can you turn on the light for me? No, the other one." This stacked light switch situation pretty much sums up what this house was all about. Everything was sloppy, lazy and crazy. Good thing our trusty cousin Sam is going to teach Warren the ropes of minor electric repairs...so that we can fix all the stuff that "Daddy, the 'lectrical GENIUS" did in the house over the years. Also, check out the paneling that was installed in the kitchen. Wow. That's gone already, but it still haunts me.

Warren has been demo'ing the bathroom, and when he took out the vanity, he just tossed it out the back door, and it completely exploded! There goes our bathroom, we can't WAIT to get the nice new stuff delivered from Home Depot, we just have to get the room in ship-shape first, which poses a problem. My Uncle Dale came by yesterday to check out the place and possibly measure for his tile work, and we all came to the conclusion that we need to demo the plaster walls in the kitchen and bathroom (Susan, we are going to save some of that for you this saturday, yay!) as well as the floor in both rooms. So, we are a little ways off from having the new bathroom. But, it shall be done...some day. See Warren below, cutting out the portions of the wall with his new Reciprocating Saw, and you gotta love how they just slapped the vanity and plumbing right over the open, exposed wall. I guess they ran out of ugly paneling when they got to the under portion of the vanity. Oh well, it was behind a mostly closed door, so who cares if the wall is open? Whatever.

Warren took out the lower cabinets because they had been installed right over the linoleum floor and the wall paneling (as well as tiled over the paneling, I have mentioned this in a previous post), and cleaned up with the shop vac...to the tune of approximately 12 Rats Nests, and 6 dead mice. But he just told me it was hard to tell because they were petrified and in broken pieces. So that's awesome. I did see a little mouse scurry across the living room of the main house, which we have had to use for storage of items that won't pick up smells too badly, and run into a little mouse-hole under the built-in cabinet in the dining room. So, I poured a bunch of Rat Poison down the hole and shoved a piece of broken 1/4 round trim in the hole so they couldn't escape. I hope the hole goes down to the crawl space under the house, not directly under the built-in. We shall find out soon, if it starts to smell. I hope the kittens take care of the rodent problem soon. They need to earn their keep!

And here is a photo of the Master Bedroom Floor, after we scraped the asbestos ceiling and removed the 30 year old carpet. All I have to say is...who died?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Heidi - Looking good.

I know you're the expert painter in your family - but I'm pretty trusty with a roller and a brush too. Let me know if you need some help. I'd love to work out my aggression with a crowbar.

Sarah

Heidi Allen - Posh Paint Designs said...

Paint is the least of my worries! But crowbar work is on the short list, as well as scraping things, sanding things, etc. We'd love the help, let me know when you want to come over!